8 Easy Ways to Live More Green and Eco-Friendly

Living a green and eco-friendly lifestyle does not have to be hard or expensive. There are many things you can do to increase your sustainable living and decrease your footprint on the earth. Another great thing about these ideas is they will save you money in the long run and help you to live more frugally. Here are a few ways we live an eco-friendly lifestyle:
1. Use wool dryer balls instead of store bought dryer sheets. They naturally help to reduce drying time and static.

Upcycled and Felted Wool dryer balls laundry eco friendly natural brown sheep sweater green living repurposed recycled solar made

2. Use cloth paper towels, more commonly known as “un-paper towels” instead of disposable paper ones. If you’re crafty and want to make your own, here is a tutorial on how to make un-paper towels.

Cloth napkins unpaper towels baby kids wipes burp cloth set colorful boho rainbow green eco friendly kitchen solar made

3. Use cloth napkins instead of disposable paper napkins. Here is an easy tutorial on how to make cloth napkins from scrap fabric.

tutorial on how to make scrap fabric cloth napkins

4. Use cloth menstrual pads and panty liners instead of disposables. They not only come in fun prints but they are so much more soft and comfortable than disposable pads!

Peace Love Polka Dots Butterfly Bird cloth pads Set of 7 panty liner flannel menstrual period pad moon cycle pregnancy light days solar made

5. Use cloth diapers instead of disposable diapers. Stay tuned for our cloth diaper series where we’ll talk more about the different styles and how to care for them.

Owls fitted flannel cloth diaper nature boy girl soaker insert gender neutral one size fits all OS Upcycled Recycled Repurposed solar made

6. Use cloth baby wipes instead of disposable wipes. You can also use them as “family cloth” instead of toilet paper for the whole family. If you are already using cloth diapers, this is a really easy one since you just throw them in with your dirty diaper laundry.

Cloth Wipes baby toddler diaper variety pack set batik birdseye diaper solar made eco friendly shower gift

7. Use reusable nursing pads instead of disposable. These can be fleece backed or wool backed and much more comfortable than disposable. Plus they can be made with fun prints!

Reusable Nursing Pads set of 6 flannel cloth washable breastmilk breastfeeding bluegrass guitar star folk art upcycled repurposed solar made

8. Upcycle! Upcycling is when you reuse or repurpose an item for another use instead of throwing it out. We do a lot of upcycling in our house. For example, here’s our tutorial on how to repurpose a sweatshirt into a baby sleep sack. We also upcycle wool sweaters into cloth diaper covers and fun baby hats.

upcycled repurposed woold baby diaper cover cashmere
Little Turtle Upcycled Wool baby hat cadet newsboy newborn 3 6 9 12 months boy girl nature repurposed recycled t shirt solar made

When upcycling, be creative and think outside the box and the possibilities are endless. My favorite hat right now is one I made out of a vintage curtain I found at a rummage sale!

upcycled repurposed womens hat
All of these ideas can be made at home with some basic sewing and crafting skills. If you’re not the crafty type, you can also find many of these items for sale in our Etsy shop.
What are some ways you live more green and eco-friendly?
Don’t want to miss a post with the latest natural and frugal living tips, fun DIY projects or tasty real food recipes? Subscribe to our blog by clicking here and find us on Facebook here to join in our fun growing community!

This post shared on: The HomeAcre Hop Your Green Resource Natural Living Link up Simple Lives Thursday Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways ,Simply Natural Saturdays Clever Chicks Blog Hop
Eat Make Grow Hop

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Like this? Please share it! Pin on Pinterest7Share on Facebook4Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on StumbleUpon0Email this to someone
Please note: the links and posts on this blog may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure statement for more details.

Comments

1. says

Yay!!! With the exception of family cloth (husby won’t hear of it), we made all these switches in the last year – and I love it! It’s so much easier than I imagined, and there are so many benefits! We don’t have to take out the trash nearly as often, everything is so much softer and more comfortable, we’re saving tons of money – I wish everyone would at least give these things a try!

2. says

I love my wool dryer balls – the only problem is with my large family the balls get lost when someone does a load and doesn’t return it to the dryer. But when they are there they work great. Great list. Love all the fun colors to your cloths!

3. says

Great ways to help the environment :) I love have reusable products around our house rather than disposable. Thanks for sharing on The HomeAcre Hop! This is right up our alley :)

4. says

Very important steps to a greener life. I love using cloth towels instead of paper ones. But I must confess that I still cannot bring myself to using cloth menstrual pads, which is not so bad, it means that I have what to work on! Thank you for sharing all these great ideas and for making them affordable for us!

5. says

I have been wanting to try wool dryer balls for a long time! We live in an apartment and share a washer and dryer, but I often hang clothes on a rack up in our hallway. It’s in the way a lot but it saves a lot of energy!

6. says

What do wool dryer balls do for your laundry? I have to ask mainly because I don’t use dryer sheets – or anything at all! ;)

I don’t have any “unpaper towels” exactly, but I cut up old T-shirts into cleaning rags, which I use for almost anything that would normally require a paper towel – except grease. I like to be able to just throw greasy paper towels away! I haven’t succeeded in turning my husband on to the cloth rags, but my boys are pretty well trained to reach for them. (And I got a LOT more rags after making a T-shirt quilt for a friend – so I was able to turn what would be trash into recycled treasure for us!) We do still use paper towels instead of cloth napkins, but we really only use them when eating pizza, so I’m not too concerned about that at this point.

7. says

This is a great post! I am proud to say I do all of the above :) I love to try and see how we can be more eco friendly. I realized that recently I have been falling back on a few things and could pick it up. I plan to do better once baby arrives. Im pretty much on bed rest now :S

8. says

We do all of those on your list except the cloth paper towels. I keep wanting to try them but run out of time when making some time to make them. I should probably just break down and buy some! Thanks for the great post!

9. says

Once you realize how much you spend on paper towels the switch to cloth napkins is so easy. It’s even easier if you find you are on a tight budget. I invested in cloth napkins a few years back and have not bought paper towels since. Though it did take some convincing to my son that it was ok to get the pretty napkins dirty – even stained. I was using Nettie plastic dryer balls when I was married, but lost them when I got divorced. I have some wool balls on my wish list once I have some extra funds! Is it ok to put a few drops of essential oil on these when you throw them in the dryer for fragrance?

• says

That’s great you’ve already made the switch to cloth napkins! A lot of folks who like a little added fragrance to their clean laundry add a few drops of their favorite essential oil to the wool dryer balls. You just need to add a few more drops every so often when the scent starts wearing off.

10. Karen Clark says

I have switched to cloth pads and when we have another child we will definitely be using cloth diapers and wipes!

11. Sherri L says

I love using the wool balls in the dryer…. the clothes get done quicker, they don’t have static, and less expensive.

Trackbacks